Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Family Matters

This time last week, I went down to Lufkin, Texas to visit my Papa Don Shields for the last time. He was a man of God and always shared Christ with others. He was a top Texas educator and really had a passion for education his entire life. His legacy continues on with Donald T. Shields elementary in Red Oak, Texas, as well as the Don Shields Service Center for Dallas County Schools. His wife, my Grandma Gloria, was also passionate about education with an emphasis in journalism. Her legacy continues on with the Gloria Shields All-American Journalism Workshop. I was never able to meet my grandma as her death preceded my birth, but I was able to attend the journalism workshop every year in high school and I was grateful for that opportunity to be close to her in that way. I also made several friends at those workshops that I still keep in contact with! I was able to occasionally visit my Papa Don once or twice a year, but I missed out on several opportunities to visit him for other reasons. We shared a special bond because I was his only granddaughter and I am fortunate enough to share the last name "Shields" with him and will treasure it forever. One time when I was in fourth or fifth grade I asked him if we could go "cruisin in his pickup truck and listen to country music," and he obliged. We listened to 99.5 The Wolf and went all over Red Oak. We drove by these huge houses and even visited our dear friends Vernon and Marjorie Coffey. Every time I visited after that he would bring up that great memory we shared together. When I saw Vernon at the burial this past Saturday he remembered my visit and told me how delighted he was to see me again. I have been devastated this whole week about my family's loss, but through this whole situation I have grown closer than ever to my sister-in-law Rebecca. We've laughed and cried about all of the memories and bonded over being "Shields Sisters Forever," which is just so great. I have also grown closer to my brothers Geoff and Jon and am truly blessed to have the best brothers in the world. Please be in prayer for my family, especially my dad, Jim Shields, as we grieve this loss.

God Bless,
Jenny Shields 

No comments:

Post a Comment