Sunday, January 29, 2012

Unfinished Poems Series One: Love

If I haven't told you already, I have become completely obsessed with spoken word poetry. I think it's my niche and I would love to get involved with it soon! Given my confidence cooperates! Anyways, I decided to start off by writing down poems. I like to write about what I know and I also swoon over sappy love stories so I thought, I can write about that! I should note that all of these poems are unedited, untitled, and most importantly unfinished. (Unfinished? I think that makes them more beautiful. Life is filled with incomplete thoughts and some questions never receive answers.) Some people sing songs in the shower, I fit together iambic pentameter and other types of poetry. So here we go!

1. I want kids, not so picket fences, and the whole shabang-
and the only imagery that goes with that fantasy is the attachment of your last name.

2. All that I want is contentment
but that takes a backseat when I realize my issues with commitment.
Will he laugh at the way I pronounce hair or gush as I parade around with my flair?
Or will he "fall out of love" and have an affair?
Oh how I hope not.
I hope he sweeps me off my feet and vanquishes that terrible thought.

3. I often cringe when you call me friend... all I want is to be more.
As I ponder that thought I have decided to settle this silly war.
In the end I'll be your friend: the one you laugh with and adore.
Forget about all of the trinkets and tokens
I just want us to learn how to be unbroken.
Let's mold together as one
not fair weather or just for fun.
Friend give me your heart and in kind
I will give you mine.

4. When you look at every girl with infatuation in your eyes
you've missed the point and you're missing the prize.
Falling in love isn't about settling on someone
it's about selecting "The One".
My mother always warned me about guys like you.
She told me to never be number three or four.
To find a guy searching for something more.
Because I shouldn't be part of a collection,
No, I should be a one of a kind selection.

5. Long distance relationship:
My heart is on temporary loan
to a guy who literally lives almost a thousand miles and whom I've never met.
I'm not quite ready to call it love (mostly because I'm sane)
but I am ready to hop on a plane or train,
or even my little car that could - get me to him.
I've been told a thousand times I could have any guy I want
and even if that was true my heart doesn't want anyone else.
When my brain tells my heart to just forget it - that it is impossible
my heart looks into his eyes and they whisper "I'm possible".
Postcards, love letters, phone calls -
recounting every word, every story, every emotion felt.
We'd have so much to say and even when we run out of words, we'd have each other.
I'm not running away.
I'm making a wish upon a star and I'm crossing my fingers -
that even a thousand miles away he'll feel the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment